Skip to content

OpenWRT working on Buffalo WHR-G125 router

OpenWRT for the Buffallo WHR-G125 is listed as Work-In-Progress, with no install or config information on the wiki. However I just verified that the latest X-Wrt Kamakazi brcm-2.4 snapshots work, including wireless. WRT treats the left-most port, labeled “1”, as the WAN port instead of the “Internet” port, which I think is switched with the other lan ports. Also it crashed when I tried to enable SSL for the web-interface, during the install of libopenssl. I think this happens when it runs out of space on /jffs, which is very tight at 2MB.

I installed this snapshot, built on July 9th, from the X-Wrt website, using Tamato’s firmware upgrade page on the web-interface. I imagine it will work with the stock firmware or DD-WRT as well, although you may have to rename the file to .bin:

I use PPPoE to connect to Qwest, bridged through my DSL router. Wireless is working with WEP, both from my centrino laptop with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and from the NintendoDS. I haven’t tried WPA. I also installed and enabled UPnP and QoS using the web-interface, but I haven’t tested them yet.

One of the things I love about OpenWRT is the ease of setting up fixed DHCP ips and local DNS. You can use the web-interface, but I find that editing the files directly is more convenient when adding many entries at once. Just ssh in to the router (user root, password same as web-interface), edit /etc/ethers and /etc/hosts, then run “/etc/init.d/dnsmasq reload”. Ethers is a new line separated list of MAC addresses followed by ips:

XX:XX:XX:XX:XX::XX  192.168.1.X

XX:XX:XX:XX:XX::XX  192.168.1.X

The hosts file, just like on any linux system, is a new line separated list of ips followed by a list of hostnames: wrt wrtroutername2 wrtroutername3 a alongname

Now if you try to ping “wrt” and “a” it should go to and .2. Note that you need to release/renew the clients using DHCP so they get the new fixed ips.

One Comment

  1. bda says:

    I’m now running the July 29 snapshot, and I no longer have space problems. Only 600K out of 1.9M is used. However I am unable to install the qos-scripts because of missing dependencies. I wonder if QOS takes up tons of space, or if something else caused the bloat.

    Also I still can’t get SSL working for the web interface – openssl-util fails to install, which is needed for certificate generation.

Leave a Reply